Thursday, August 11, 2005

We're still just a bunch of Hunter-Gatherers.

I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart. I always have and I always will. I don't buy that lower income lifestyles have now improved because people can now purchase $20. DVD players that they otherwise wouldn't be able to own. The Walton family members top the world's wealthiest while they pay their workers minimum wage and work them just under the legal allotted hours to offer health coverage. They have no integrity and no soul and it boils my blood to think about it. As W has reminded us throughout his term, Americans have freedom. We have a choice in where we shop and as the worlds wealthiest nation, I also think that if we are going to shop, we have an obligation as to where and how.

In no way am I saying that I'm a saint in all of this. Far from it. But I am trying to break away from what is easy and just do the right thing. I admit that I shop at Costco. Hey, they are headquartered in my hometown so I am somewhat obligated. I'm not a person that will be easily swept away by a bargain price on something I didn't know that I wanted. Costco has a formula that does just that for a lot of people. The CEO refuses to sell anything over 14% markup and will drop vendors if he knows that Wal-Mart is getting a lower price. He chooses to stock high quality every day items throughout the warehouse and also enjoys throwing in what I call treats: items that are above and beyond what you would expect to find there yet at a great price (e.g. cashmere sweaters, flat screen TV, etc.). And, most recently a Picasso. Just in case you need one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home