Wednesday, December 06, 2006


Stone Barns!

I'm so excited - a couple months ago when I visited Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture, I wanted to be a part of it. Just down the road from Kykuit, the beautiful grounds were purchased by John D. Rockefeller for his wife but the recently and beautifully renovated Stone Buildings are now open to the public.

Since Seattle and my volunteering at Seattle Tilth, my heart has been longing for those days of getting dirt under my fingernails. After submitting an application to volunteer at Stone Barns, I didn't hear anything but followed up with subsequent emails until I heard back. I just got word on Monday and have received multiple emails offering to put me to work. The size, philosophy and approach of Stone Barns is a guarantee that I will not only be able to get a wide breadth of experience but the incredible knowledge and passion of the people that I will be interacting with about agriculture (those cute sheep!) to the chefs at Blue Hill (that use foods from the grounds & greenhouses) is sure the guarantee that my longing will be satisfied.

I'll start in a few weeks helping to pull weeds from the iron woods and then hang out in the greenhouse. Truly starting from the ground up.

In good health,
Kelli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home