Friday, January 12, 2007

Test #1
I'm craving new clothes and really want to stick with my resolution of not buying any new non-necessaties for one year. So, all of the spring catalogs are coming out and it is my natural instinct to make a checklist of things I would like to have for the spring. Of course, Havana jeans is having a holiday weekend sale starting today with their $170 jeans marked 1/2 off. I'm tempted to go. I need some wise words and inner strength. Do I need new jeans? That's debatable...do I want new jeans, YES.

What is it in the human psyche that drives us to want forbidden fruit? If the fruit is given to us, we seldomly love it as much as we thought we would. If we know the fruit will be there and can enjoy it without guilt, we are more patient and able to wait for the fruit to ripen and even sometimes decide we don't want it after all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

I didn't buy the jeans BUT I have been tempted to purchase other things like fancy soaps and justify it as a health necessity - I'm lying to myself!! I also went into NYC last weekend and bought Paul a dress shirt. I justified it because it wasn't for me. THAT kind of thing needs to stop! Nick, I think you are right (with your offline comment) that I can use this to allow myself the time to question if I really want something and if so, buy a high quality item not something disposable. I'm going to push myself into a different space so I can learn to stop consuming out of habit.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home