Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sisters - ugh.

My two older sisters are 7 & 8 years older than I am and have always fought like cats and dogs. You cannot be around them for more than 15 minutes before the complete opposites jealousy and bickering rears its ugly head. They fight over everything from how one sister wears her hair, talks to men (the younger of the two has been a lesbian for 10 years so she now thinks she has a better understanding of male/female relationships), I could go on and on. So, they are now in their 40s and still see each other 'for their sons' on a semi-regular basis. They have caused the family so much grief over the years and still have this messed up attitude that "we're family so we have to help each other out". The thing is, I physically left long ago and once I did that, I was able to figure out who I am and what I'm about without the harsh judgements of family. I really wish they could do that - they're stuck in this co-dependant spiral that is so unhealthy for both of them.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I'm headed back to Seattle for a family visit (I don't dare call this a vacation) and it seems that the family is preparing for my visit by fighting - all around. My friend I mentioned several months back is having financial problems again and is still in denial, my sisters have betrayed each others trust again so they're pissed off... I'm taking a 5 hour flight for this? Really, I would just as soon hop on a plane to London and hang out with friends overseas.

Is there ever an end to family bickering? Is there hope?

I'm almost looking forward to my return flight home to Connecticut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home