Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Shake that Bailey's Butt

I've had enough with winter....ENOUGH! Enough with the Bailey's 300 calorie drinks that are like melting ice cream and are so comforting.

I'm ready for spring and I've had SO much energy for the last two weeks. I'm just climbing the walls to get outside and garden, walk to town, start living again. One thing I am taking advantage of is the extra energy. I don't know where it came from (improved diet?) but I do not question such a gift. A while back, I realized how much I love personal training and want to get back into it. One of the first things I need to do is to get back into shape so that 1). I represent good health 2). I can show exercises to my clients without falling over and 3). It is easier to sell the job. One thing I have noticed throughout all of the fad diets and exercises is that we are a desperate society. People need to chill out because there is no secret to weight loss.

In fact, if you look at what we idolize, it is the person in good health. The person that is thin but has energy and moves with grace. This comes with work and good habits. There is an easy answer: get off your butt and take personal responsibility. Stop thinking too much about it and do it.

It's simple math: calories in vs. calories out = energy or fat.

You decide.

Of course there are always exceptions and usually more excuses why this doesn't work but even if you are always going to have a little extra love to grab onto, that's OK. As long as you know that if you needed to, you could climb some stairs and not be out of breath when you reached the top then you're OK. So, I'm working out 4-5 days per week - 20 minute run, 20 min spin (on 1-2 days) and free weights (legs & shoulders, back & biceps, chest & triceps) and abs every day plus lots of yummy stretching. Even if I never lose my Bailey's butt that I acquired over the winter, that's OK. I feel great after every workout. What's better than that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

There's nothing like the feeling of maxing out your lung capacity while climbing a hill and being 1/2 way to your goal. Kurt, it is time to give up the sticks. When you're ready, The Herbalist in Seattle has a cigarette detox tonic that helps rid it of toxins which will theoretically cut your cravings. It's a habit and it can be broken - its just a matter of you out thinking your mind... uh... yeah.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

BTW: I'm jealous you have a MB club! I actually broke down and put street tires on my bike. :( She's not too happy about that.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home